THE TWO CUB SCOUT LEADER BASIC TRAINING COURSES
The BSA has made it easy to get trained by putting all the introductory courses for Cub Scout leaders online at MyScouting.org.
1. Cub Scout Leader Position-Specific Training. There are six types of sessions:
Tiger Cub Den Leaders; Wolf & Bear Den Leaders; Webelos Den Leaders; Cubmasters; Pack Committee Members; and Pack Trainers.
- Tiger Cub Den Leaders: working with 1st graders.
- Den Leaders for Wolf & Bear Cub Scouts: working with 2nd and 3rd graders,
or 8 & 9 year olds in the LDS packs.
- Webelos Den Leaders: working with 4th and 5th graders, or 10 year olds in the LDS packs.
- Cubmasters: The Leader of the Pack!
- Pack Committee Members: including all those parents who don’t yet have a specific job.
- Pack Trainers: conduct or facilitate the training of leaders and parents in the pack.
Each time you take on a new job in the pack, you should get trained for that specific new position. Assistants and “helpers” should take the training for the position they are assisting.
2. Youth Protection Training is designed to help you keep our youth safe from abuse. It covers the BSA’s Youth Protection Guidelines, the Guide to Safe Scouting, signs of abuse, and how to report suspected abuse. It is required training for every leader before registration, and it must be renewed every two years. Click here to contact our Training Chair to find out when you can train all your pack’s leaders and parents. Individuals can also take this training module online at MyScouting.org.
TRAINING ON THE ROAD. The VHC Training Committee can usually provide instructor-led training for any of the other courses, including the on-line courses. These courses will be scheduled at the convenience of the requesting unit if half a dozen leaders can be registered. Usually, we ask that leaders from other units be invited to attend, too, to provide as many training opportunities as possible for our adult leaders. Interested? Click here to contact our Training Chair about arranging this type of training for your pack leaders.
ADDITIONAL INTRODUCTORY COURSES
Fast Start Orientation Training is intended to be taken by pack leaders immediately following the acceptance of their new role. This 45-minute training is available online at MyScouting.org. It is designed to help new leaders understand the fundamentals of their specific program and to give insight into the various leadership roles of the people they will be working with.
This Is Scouting is a 45-minute online overview of the Scouting organization, including history, values, programs, youth protection, community involvement, and training. It is especially recommended for leaders who are brand-new to Scouting.
ADVANCED LEADERSHIP TRAINING COURSE
Once you have completed your basic training sequence, the next step is Wood Badge, the advanced leadership training program for all adult leaders in the BSA. It is intended to increase leadership skills for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout and Venturing leaders, as well as council and district leaders. Click here to find out about Wood Badge for 2015.