Welcome to the Verdugo Hills Council!
We are thrilled you and your family are joining ours, and look forward to working with you to help ensure you get the most out of your Scouting experience. “How do we do that?” you may ask? Get involved! Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Don’t be afraid to try new experiences. Don’t be afraid to have fun. The more you learn, the more you participate, and yes, the more you care, the richer your personal experience in Scouting will be.
Together, we can make a difference.
What we bring:
For nearly one hundred years, the Verdugo Hills Council has served the youth and communities residing in the shadow of the Verdugo Hills. We take pride in the reputation we have built for developing self-reliance, strong character, respect for others, good citizenship skills, and physical and mental fitness in our young men and women. Our programs have instilled in these youth the values and knowledge they need to become leaders in their communities and beyond.
What you bring:
You bring a lifetime of unique experience which can help enrich the lives of the youth of today and the leaders of tomorrow.
How you can get involved:
Just ask. Training is readily available, and there are opportunities to contribute and learn all around. Here are just a few:
- Talk to your Scoutmaster or Troop Committee. Behind all good Scoutmasters, you will find a corps of dedicated volunteers, from pack and troop committees to assistant Scoutmasters. And there is always room for one more. Why not make that one you?
- Talk to your District and Council representatives. Verdugo Hills Council has two districts – Foothill and Iron Eyes Cody. Local units make up these districts, and assist in ensuring that the resources of the Verdugo Hills Council are available to enrich your family’s experience with Scouting. You can find a list of District and Council contacts here on our website, and a calendar of district and council events here. You can also find out more about our camps and other exciting opportunities on our website or by calling us at (818) 243-6282.
- Get involved with Verdugo Hills Council’s Committee for Scouts with Disabilities and Special Needs. Working with the youth of the local communities is rich and rewarding. Ensuring that these opportunities are available for youth of all abilities is even more so. To find out more, visit SWDASN’s webpage.
- Become a Merit Badge Counselor or STEM mentor. There are over 130 merit badges offered through Scouting along with a vibrant STEM Nova Awards program which opens the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics to our youth. Click on the links to find out more about merit badges and STEM Nova Awards.
- Are you an Eagle Scout? If so, consider joining the National Eagle Scout Association (NESA). Contact our council offices for more information.
We all do. As we work together to provide rich and rewarding opportunities for the today’s youth, we are also investing in tomorrow’s leaders. We look forward to working with you in this endeavor.
Sam Engel, Jr.
VHC Council President